Wondered how to shop on Amazon with bitcoin? Then here’s how you can purchase goods on one of the largest e-commerce websites that ships to just about any country in the world.
It’s Amazon! Now, not many know they can actually pay for goods on the platform using bitcoin. Yes, just about any product you want, you can checkout using some of your bitcoin cryptocurrencies.
Some eCommerce merchants and dropshippers have always faced challenges of processing payments using their local credit/debit cards. If you’ve also faced the same limitation, then there’s no cause to worry anymore.
This article will work you through how you can clear your bills on Amazon with bitcoin.
What Is Bitcoin?
Let’s not assume anything. If you’ve not heard about bitcoin in 2019, you’re really behind. Let’s cut out all the technical jargon, bitcoin is a digital and global currency. It allows you to send or receive money globally, using the internet.
It was created to be a pair-to-pair micropayment system, cutting out the government’s interference in people’s daily financial transactions. Yeah, let’s keep it short, we don’t want to go into the pros and cons of that.
However, you are about to make your first purchase using the most valuable currency on the planet today to purchase what you’ve always wanted from Amazon.
Does Shopping Using Bitcoin On Amazon Hide Your Identity?
No! Though bitcoin’s major feature is to keep you anonymous, you have to open an account with your real details on Amazon. Let’s say you aren’t totally truthful with the details you provided, then it may be hard or impossible to get those purchased items.
How To Purchase Products From Amazon With Bitcoin
Let’s cut the long talks and get into the game. In a bid to meet your quest to purchase products from Amazon with bitcoin, you’ll be taking advantage of the plugin, Moon. This plugin helps process your bitcoin payments at lightning speed. This saves you the hassle of processing credit/debit card payments, and of course at a much cheaper transaction cost compared to VISA and Mastercard. With this, you can buy anything whatsoever on Amazon. Be it electronics, furniture, tech gadgets, clothing accessories, I mean anything at all.
Introducing You To Moon
Moon is a browser extension for Chrome, Opera, and Brave (coming soon to Firefox) and it allows people to shop on online marketplaces using Bitcoin, Litecoin, Ether and Bitcoin Cash. According to its developers, plans are being made to support other cryptocurrencies and even incorporate the extension on eCommerce giant platforms such as AliExpress, eBay, and Target. Moon also takes advantage of the Lightning Network which ensures that transactions are processed faster and the network fees are reduced.
As a result, all payments made via the extension are instant which ensures that you don’t wait long hours for your transactions processed. There is also the added benefit of no hidden fees charges while using the extension. It is, however, worthy to note that Amazon does not accept Bitcoin as of June 2019 but the startup behind Moon helps to make the conversion to fiat for merchants on the platform.
How to Use the Moon Extension to Shop on Amazon With Bitcoin
Have you ever wondered, “can I pay on Amazon with Bitcoin?” Yes! You definitely can. Now, here’s the part where we’ll show you how to use the Moon extension to purchase desired items (wholesale or retail) on Amazon. All you have to do is install it on either Chrome, Opera, or Brave browser and then connect to your Coinbase account.
Don’t have a Coinbase account? Nothing to worry about, open a Coinbase account now. Still confused on how to go about the process? Here’s a guide that takes you through the process. It only takes a minute.
In addition, each time you access the checkout on Amazon, you’ll be prompted with a ‘Pay with Moon’ button. Clicking the button creates an interface for you to link back to the funds in your Coinbase account. Here are the simple steps that will help you to pay with Bitcoin directly and instantly with Moon.
Setting Up Moon: Register and Connect a Bitcoin Wallet
- First, you need to visit Moon’s website to download the extension for your web browser (In this example, we’ll be using Google Chrome).
- Click on ‘Add to Chrome’ and you’ll be redirected to the Google Web Store
- Select ‘Add to Chrome’.
- From the popup, click on ‘Add extension’.
- Once the extension is downloaded, it’ll be displayed next to address bar of your browser and you’ll be automatically be redirected to a signup page.
- Proceed to create an account on Moon using your Facebook or Google account, or an Email and password.
- Click on ‘Sign Up’ (if you’ve opted to register with Email).
- Enter a valid email address and a password. Make sure you write them down.
- Click on ‘Sign up’.
- Upon registering, you need to verify your Moon account right from your email address. The one you used to create the account.
- From the email that was sent, click on ‘Verify Your Account’.
Sign Into Amazon
- Next, go to Amazon.com and sign into your account. I’m sure you have an account already created, so let’s proceed.
- Optionally, you may be required to authenticate your login by entering a One Time Password (OTP) which will be sent to your email.
- After logging in, select a product you’ll like to buy and click on the ‘Pay with Moon’ button.
Connect A Bitcoin Wallet
- Click on ‘Connect a Wallet’.
- Select ‘Connect Coinbase‘ to link your Coinbase account.
- Click on ‘Continue’ on the prompt.
- To proceed, sign into your Coinbase account. This may open in a separate window.
- Enter the OTP that was sent to your smartphone in order to link the Moon’s API.
- Click on ‘Verify’ and you would’ve successfully linked your account.
If this is your first time, you may have to chill at this point. Noticed the message? Connecting to Coinbase may take up to 48 hours. This is a security check by Coinbase. Just in case you didn’t authorize the connection, you can reach them within the timeframe and Coinbase will delete the API key created. Yeah, I know this may be inconvenient for you, but it’s for your safety.
To know your API is approved and you are all set up to buy your first item on Amazon with bitcoin, you should see something similar to this in your Coinbase account. To access this section, click on your Profile Photo > Settings > API Access.
Now that your API key is approved, it’s time to shop as you want, provided you’ve got some bitcoin in your wallet.
Go back to Amazon.com. Click on the Moon Extension on your browser to make sure your wallet is connected successfully this time. If it is, you should see the “Connect a Wallet” button now changed to “Slide to Pay with MOON.”
We got everything else covered, but you actually need some bitcoin to make bitcoin payments. You have a Moon account setup, a working Coinbase and Amazon accounts, all you need now is some bitcoin. Click here to Buy Bitcoin from Coinbase. Not sure how to? Here’s a guide that walks you through the process.
If you reside in a country where you are not allowed to purchase bitcoin from Coinbase. Not too worry, there are other alternatives. You can buy bitcoin on LocalBitcoins, Paxful, Binance, and many others and send to Coinbase. Still confused? Let’s talk.
These are the guidelines on How to Shop on Amazon with Bitcoin and if you followed every step, you should be able to make your first purchase on Amazon with bitcoin. Now you know, share this article to inform others.